Wednesday, March 14, 2007

digital photography is fun photography

Welcome to my digital diary!

Still not sure exactly what to put here though, so things may be a bit ambiguous. I reckon I'll start with a pleasant introduction.

My name is Robbie Flick, I'm an amatuer photographer and an arts major. I've always been interested in this field, so a number of months ago I bought a Digital Rebel XT (cheapest SLR I could find) and a book and began teaching myself a bit of photography. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it, and I've got a lot of experience with photoshop, which definitely helps. Regardless, taking a real photography class with assignments should be very helpful. I'm delightfully stoked.

The tasks seem simple enough, yet still pretty inspiring. I've been taking photos for a while, but will only include photos taken this semester in my blog. I've been pondering my project, and I'm leaning towards an examination of the coastal life. I want to include surfing in my project, but a different more artistic investigation of it, not just shots of good surfing...I don't want to be the simple minded cliched surfer.

Anyways here are a few images I've taken recently, along with comments. Until I can afford some better equipment, all images posted will have been taken by a Canon Digital Rebel XT with an 18-55 mm lens (its pretty shitty but it does the trick...sometimes) and editted with Adobe Photoshop CS2.

We have a family of tree frogs that emerge every night from out apartment in Byron, which make excellent subjects. Snapped this shot late at night, with the light coming at a sharp angle from our porch light. I used a low ISO and a very slow shutter speed (more than a second I think) so I'm lucky the frog stayed perfectly still, but the result is a very warm and sharp image. I really enjoy the tones of this one, the frog is uniquely lit with a soft light, and I'm liking how only half of its body is visible.
Hoping to use a tragic accident to make a good piece of art. I like how stark this image is, I worked with the .RAW file a lot to make the wall a very particular color that contrasts well with the board and the grass. Its simple, yet (at least for me) its powerful, and thats what I like about it. Shot at evening with a pretty standard shutter speed and aperture.
The vertical pattern that the didjes make, combined with their unique almost surreal tone makes this one work really well for me. Shot in daylight at the Byron markets.
Another shot from the Byron markets. Pretty haggard looking dude with a sweet tattoo on his back...he turned around for just long enough to snap this photo. I like the contrast between the tattoo and the skin tones.
Shot at the quckie pro with a very low f-stop (couldn't tell you off the top of my head) and ISO at around 200 I believe. I just like the patterns in this that fade off into the distance, with Kellys name in the foreground as an international standard.

Anyways thanks for checking this out, hope its enjoyable, until next week keep taking photos and making art.
-Robbie

1 comment: